Monday, May 13, 2013

Gymnastics

Ava has finally made her long-anticipated entrance into the world of gymnastics. She's so excited she even allows her hair to be put in pigtails. The Children's Gym doesn't mess around though--by the second class she'd tried her hand at the rings, beam, vault, bars, and (her favorite) the trampoline. 

Warming up with the other athletes

What they don't tell you in the brochure is that viewing the Tiny Tumblers class is a wildly inappropriate pastime for an 18-month old. I'm not sure what I was thinking but I assumed there would be some sort of a barrier between the spectators and the "athletes." Instead, they have a few chairs set up right next to the mats so that your curious 18-month old can take a running start and then a flying leap into a tumbling pass. In fact, a relentlessly curious 18-month old can continuously take a flying leap into a tumbling pass for a full hour, until the class ends. Had I known, I certainly wouldn't have scheduled Ava's class on a weekday during work hours, thereby requiring the pursuit  and containment of said 18-month old to be a one-person job.

While gymnastics seems to be in the Rabold blood, it most certainly is not in the Edwards', so this could be a short-lived endeavor.